As a veteran myself, I recognize the sacrifices that our military men and women make every day, both during and after their service. I intend to honor them through my work, and fight for them every chance I get.
During the 115th Congress, I am proud to have authored and introduced bipartisan bills to support our student veterans on college campuses. The Veterans Resource Center Act would authorize grants for Veterans Resource Centers to advise, assist, and support military-connected students and encourage priority registration for veterans. I co-introduced the GI Bill Transfer Extension Act, legislation that will increase flexibility for service members seeking to transfer their GI Bill education benefits. I will continue to work to support veterans and their families in their pursuit of higher education.
I have cosponsored:
- The Gold Star Family Support Act, which will give Gold Star Families access to military installations’ services and benefits, regardless of remarriage. This bill passed the House.
- The Global War on Terrorism War Memorial Act, which will allow for construction of a memorial commemorating the Global War on Terror on our National Mall. This was signed into law.
- Ensuring Veteran Enterprise Participation in Strategic Sourcing Act, a bipartisan bill that directs the Department of Veterans Affairs to work with the General Services Administration (GSA) to increase the number of Service-Disabled Veteran and Veteran-Owned Small Businesses represented on GSA contracts.
- "Forever GI" bill, The Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017, a bipartisan bill that would close current gaps in the existing Post 9/11 GI Bill and guarantee that veterans have access to their hard-earned GI Bill benefits beyond the current 15-year time limit.
- The WINGMAN Act, a bipartisan bill aimed at helping veterans through the claims process with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- The Reserve Component Benefits Parity Act, which addresses unequal compensation for reserve-component members who deploy.
- The VA Employee Fairness Act of 2017, to modify authorities relating to the collective bargaining of employees in the Veterans Health Administration.
For more information concerning work and views related to Veterans issues, please contact our office.
More on Veterans
WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Calif.) announced today that he has been appointed to serve as an Assistant Whip for the 116th Congress.
WASHINGTON, DC – Congressional leadership has appointed Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Calif.) to serve on three committees during the 116th Congress. He will serve on the House Ways and Means Committee and its Trade Subcommittee.
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-CA-20), joined Congressman Doug LaMalfa (R-CA-01) in introducing the Honoring Veterans’ Families Act. The bipartisan legislation allows the spouse and dependent children of a veteran to be included on the veteran’s grave marker upon their death. Due to a flaw in current law, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) cannot include almost any information about the spouse or dependent children of a veteran on a VA-provided tombstone.
WASHINGTON, DC – The U.S. House of Representatives on Friday overwhelmingly passed the Veterans’ Access to Child Care Act, H.R.
WASHINGTON — A bipartisan group of lawmakers is trying again to ensure all Medal of Honor recipients and prisoners of war are given full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery.
Legislation introduced in the House on Wednesday would grant them a military band and horse-drawn caisson – honors now reserved only for officers and servicemembers killed in action.
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (CA-20) led 54 of his colleagues in writing Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross expressing concern that the administration’s decision to decrease the number of Area Census Offices could lead to a potential undercount of rural, immigrant, low-income, communities of color, and traditionally hard to count communities during the 2020 Census.
WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-CA-20) has been appointed as the Congressional Co-Chair of the bipartisan U.S.-Russia Joint Commission on Prisoners of War and Missing in Action (POW/MIAs).
"I am truly honored for this appointment as providing closure to the family, friends, and loved ones of missing servicemembers is a nonpartisan, necessary, and noble cause," said Congressman Panetta. "The work of the Joint Commission also reaffirms our respective countries' commitment to bolstering bilateral cooperation on POW/MIA issues."
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (CA-20) was appointed by Congressional leadership to serve on the House Ways and Means Committee. Congressman Panetta released the following statement:
Resources for federal employees can be found here: https://panetta.house.gov/services/resources-federal-employees
Will my mail still arrive during the shutdown?