As a veteran myself, I recognize the sacrifices that our military men and women make every day, both during and after their service. I intend to honor them through my work, and fight for them every chance I get.
In the 115th Congress, I have cosponsored:
- The Gold Star Family Support Act, which will give Gold Star Families access to military installations’ services and benefits, regardless of remarriage. This bill passed the House.
- The Global War on Terrorism War Memorial Act, which will allow for construction of a memorial commemorating the Global War on Terror on our National Mall. This was signed into law.
- Ensuring Veteran Enterprise Participation in Strategic Sourcing Act, a bipartisan bill that directs the Department of Veterans Affairs to work with the General Services Administration (GSA) to increase the number of Service-Disabled Veteran and Veteran-Owned Small Businesses represented on GSA contracts.
- "Forever GI" bill, The Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017, a bipartisan bill that would close current gaps in the existing Post 9/11 GI Bill and guarantee that veterans have access to their hard-earned GI Bill benefits beyond the current 15-year time limit.
- The WINGMAN Act, a bipartisan bill aimed at helping veterans through the claims process with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- The Reserve Component Benefits Parity Act, which addresses unequal compensation for reserve-component members who deploy.
- The VA Employee Fairness Act of 2017, to modify authorities relating to the collective bargaining of employees in the Veterans Health Administration.
For more information concerning work and views related to Veterans issues, please contact our office.
More on Veterans
WASHINGTON, DC – Earlier this month, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-CA) and Congressman Brian Mast (R-FL) introduced House Resolution 1062 recognizing the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) and its leadership in researching and protecting servicemembers from infectious diseases such as malaria.
Rep. Jimmy Panetta announced staff mobile office hours for veterans services from 1-3 p.m. Monday at the Cabrillo College Veterans Information Center, 6500 Soquel Ave. Building 900, No. 914.
Mobile office hours are an opportunity for veterans living on the central coast to meet with Congressional staff members, and are offered in addition to meetings in the Salinas and Santa Cruz Congressional offices. To schedule a meeting, call 831-424-2229.
Veterans Resource Centers can be found on college campuses across the nation, but funding for them is scarce. A bill in Congress could change that.
Army veteran Gilbert Bernabe is not your traditional college student. He served in both Iraq and Afghanistan before starting work on his bachelor’s degree. By then, he was 35 and going through a divorce.
He credits support from on campus Veterans Resource Centers at Hartnell College and Cal State Monterey Bay for keeping him on track. He graduates this semester.
Marina >> The Veteran Resource Center at CSU Monterey Bay might be getting some financial help in the near future from federal government grants that have been proposed.
MONTEREY, Calif. - Un veterano latino de Salinas que sirvió en la guerra de Irak dos veces ahora esta estudiando para ser un trabajador social y es uno de 100 alumnos veteranos en la Universidad Estatal de la Bahía de Monterey, la cual podría beneficiarse de un nuevo proyecto de ley llamada HR-67- 66.
"Estoy muy contento con la presentación de Jimmy Panetta," dijo José Luis Ramírez.
Quien asegura que varias de las instituciones educativas no ofrecen suficientes servicios para estudiantes como él.
First term Congressman Jimmy Panetta is well known on Capitol Hill for being a principled and pragmatic lawmaker who regularly puts policy over politics. This week, he is back in California’s 20th District on the Central Coast, living up to his reputation by addressing one of our country’s most overlooked issues – veterans’ education.
WASHINGTON, DC – This week, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-CA) and Congressman Don Bacon (R-NE) introduced the Veterans Resource Center Act. The legislation authorizes the Department of Veterans Affairs to provide federal grants to public universities to establish, maintain, and provide services at Veterans Resource Centers on campuses. Moreover, it incentivizes priority registration for veteran and military-connected students.
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-CA) joined Congressman Scott Taylor (R-VA) in introducing the GI Bill Transfer Extension Act, to increase flexibility for servicemembers seeking to transfer their GI Bill education benefits.
Monterey >> Tribute was paid to another American serviceman in Monterey when U.S. Army Technician Fifth Grade Corporal David Schultz was posthumously awarded 10 service medals on the steps of Monterey City Hall by Congressman Jimmy Panetta, D-Carmel Valley, on Tuesday afternoon.
The fact the ceremony happened just days after the death of Sen. John McCain, another decorated veteran, was not lost on Panetta.