As a veteran myself, I recognize the sacrifices that our military men and women make every day, both during and after their service. I intend to honor them through my work, and fight for them every chance I get.
In the 115th Congress, I have cosponsored:
- The Gold Star Family Support Act, which will give Gold Star Families access to military installations’ services and benefits, regardless of remarriage. This bill passed the House.
- The Global War on Terrorism War Memorial Act, which will allow for construction of a memorial commemorating the Global War on Terror on our National Mall. This was signed into law.
- Ensuring Veteran Enterprise Participation in Strategic Sourcing Act, a bipartisan bill that directs the Department of Veterans Affairs to work with the General Services Administration (GSA) to increase the number of Service-Disabled Veteran and Veteran-Owned Small Businesses represented on GSA contracts.
- "Forever GI" bill, The Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017, a bipartisan bill that would close current gaps in the existing Post 9/11 GI Bill and guarantee that veterans have access to their hard-earned GI Bill benefits beyond the current 15-year time limit.
- The WINGMAN Act, a bipartisan bill aimed at helping veterans through the claims process with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- The Reserve Component Benefits Parity Act, which addresses unequal compensation for reserve-component members who deploy.
- The VA Employee Fairness Act of 2017, to modify authorities relating to the collective bargaining of employees in the Veterans Health Administration.
For more information concerning work and views related to Veterans issues, please contact our office.
More on Veterans
Serving our Veterans: This month, I spoke with the Monterey Herald about our veterans’ frustrations about the Marina VA-DoD clinic’s pharmacy.
SALINAS, CA – Congressman Jimmy Panetta (CA-20) today announced dates and locations for staff mobile office hours for the month of March. Congressional staff members will be available in Hollister, Watsonville, and Gonzales to assist with issues concerning Social Security, Medicare, federal employee retirement, immigration services, veterans' services, passports, searching for military records, and any other federal matters.
WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman Jimmy Panetta (CA-20) released the following statement in response to President Donald Trump’s first State of the Union address:
“Tonight, President Trump delivered his first State of the Union address. Although he spoke of unity and compromise, his actions have yet to show this commitment. He has maintained his scare tactics about immigration, politicized our national security, and spoke of his so-called “America-first” trade agenda that would put California agriculture last.
Washington, DC – Today, House Armed Services Committee Ranking Member Adam Smith (D-WA), along with Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-CA), Congresswoman Stephanie Murphy (D-FL), and Congressman Seth Moulton (D-MA) of the House Democratic Caucus National Security Task Force, made the following statement about funding for the U.S. government:
WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-CA) today joined Congressman Bruce Westerman (R-AR) and a bipartisan group of House members in introducing a bill to modify the presumption of service connection for veterans exposed to herbicides while serving in Thailand. The bill would give veterans who served in Thailand during the Vietnam War era the opportunity to prove exposure to herbicide agents like Agent Orange and receive Veterans Administration benefits for service-related health problems.
A bipartisan group of House members will host a briefing Friday on programs in the farm bill that support farmer veterans and reduce veterans' food insecurity.
The briefing will take place from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Room 1302 of the Longworth House Office Building. It will also be livestreamed on the Facebook page of Rep. Chellie Pingree, D-Maine.
WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman Jimmy Panetta (CA-20) participated yesterday in a bipartisan meeting with U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Secretary Sonny Perdue and members of the U.S. House of Representatives to discuss improving the USDA’s efforts to recruit and train veteran interested in becoming farmers.
Since the day of my swearing-in as your Congressman, I have worked to ensure that our home continues to have a sturdy bridge to the federal government and its resources, through constituent meetings, town halls, and roundtables. My work in Washington and on the central coast of California has consisted of and focused on the following priorities (in alphabetical order):
Congressional staff members will be available in Watsonville, Hollister, and Soledad to assist constituents with issues concerning Social Security, Medicare, immigration, veterans affairs, expediting paperwork for passports, searching military records, or any other federal matters. To schedule a meeting, please call my Salinas office at 831-424-2229.
WHEN & WHERE:
Wednesday, December 13 — Watsonville
Watsonville Public Library
275 Main Street, Suite 100
Watsonville, CA 95076