As a veteran myself, I recognize the sacrifices that our military men and women make every day, both during and after their service. I intend to honor them through my work, and fight for them every chance I get.
In the 115th Congress, I have cosponsored:
- Ensuring Veteran Enterprise Participation in Strategic Sourcing Act, a bipartisan bill that directs the Department of Veterans Affairs to work with the General Services Administration (GSA) to increase the number of Service-Disabled Veteran and Veteran-Owned Small Businesses represented on GSA contracts.
- "The GI Bill for Life" The Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017, a bipartisan bill that would close current gaps in the existing Post 9/11 GI Bill and guarantee that veterans have access to their hard-earned GI Bill benefits beyond the current 15-year time limit.
- The WINGMAN Act, a bipartisan bill aimed at helping veterans through the claims process with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- The Reserve Component Benefits Parity Act, which addresses unequal compensation for reserve-component members who deploy.
- The VA Employee Fairness Act of 2017, to modify authorities relating to the collective bargaining of employees in the Veterans Health Administration.
For more information concerning work and views related to Veterans issues, please contact our office.
More on Veterans
Congressional staff members will be available in Watsonville, Hollister, and Soledad to assist constituents with issues concerning Social Security, Medicare, immigration, veterans affairs, expediting paperwork for passports, searching military records, or any other federal matters. To schedule a meeting, please call my Salinas office at 831-424-2229.
WHEN & WHERE:
Wednesday, December 13 — Watsonville
Watsonville Public Library
275 Main Street, Suite 100
Watsonville, CA 95076
The president's 16-year-long blank check to wage the war on terrorism should end, a small bipartisan group of combat veterans is saying as its members seek to persuade House colleagues to reassert their constitutional war-making powers.
The parades that run through downtown Hollister are like no other. They celebrate homecomings. They celebrate rodeos and holiday seasons.
And they celebrate heroes.
On Saturday, Nov. 11, Hollister will host its 16th annual San Benito County Veterans Day Parade and Ceremonies to celebrate the men and women who served our country.
The parade is sponsored by the Hollister Veterans of Foreign War (VFW) Post 9242 and is co-chaired by VFW commander George Nava and Frankie Gallagher.
SALINAS, Calif. —
Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare System is continuing its long running tradition of honoring military men and women who died serving our country this Veterans Day. Today, staff and members placed dozens of small flags along E. Romie Ln. near the hospital.
WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Calif.), along with his fellow Members of the House of Representatives and U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), wrote U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Secretary David Shulkin to request that the agency annually share information on the number of veterans who struggle with food insecurity. Beginning November 1, 2017, the VA started collecting information regarding food insecurity among veterans, agency-wide.
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Calif.) released the following statement in response to the unanimous passage of H.R. 3897, the Gold Star Family Support and Installation Access Act, which would fill in the gaps in current support law for Gold Star families. Congressman Panetta is a lead co-sponsor of the bill in the House of Representatives:
CONGRESSMAN JIMMY Panetta last week honored three Monterey County motorcyclists who made a journey across 21 states to carry an American flag to Arlington National Cemetery, where it will be flown over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier next week.
A group of riders, including Rick Phinney, Steve Culver, and Hy Libby, representing American Legion Post 31 in Salinas, made the trip to “raise awareness” and funds for the Central Coast Veterans Cemetery at Fort Ord, Panetta said.
SALINAS, CA – Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Calif.) released the following statement in response to President Donald Trump's memorandum ordering the Pentagon to ban transgender Americans from enlisting or commissioning in the military. The memorandum also halts some medically necessary transition-related health care for transgender service members.