As the grandson of immigrants who realized the American dream of freedom, prosperity, and equality, I firmly believe that diversity within our country must be valued, not belittled.
We must never forget that being American means that we bear the burden to serve one another and welcome people of all religions and nationalities who are willing to come here and share in that responsibility.
I have made bipartisan immigration reform one of my top priorities in Congress. I will readily accept the chance to work across the aisle to develop an effective solution for immigrant families and individuals who call our district home.
My office is here to help with any questions you may have regarding documentation and current laws. Regardless of your immigration status, you have certain rights:
YOU HAVE RIGHTS
- You have the right to ask for an attorney before answering any questions by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) or any other law enforcement.
- Make sure you fully understand the question you are answering and any documents you may be signing.
- ICE must have a warrant to enter your home. If an ICE agent does not show you a warrant, you may refuse entry. A valid warrant must state your correct name and address on it.
No importa su estatus migratorio, usted tiene derechos legales.
- Usted tiene el derecho de solicitar un abogado antes de responder cualquier pregunta del Servicio de Inmigración y Control de Aduanas (ICE: por sus siglas en inglés) de los EEUU, o cualquier otra aplicación de la ley.
- Asegúrese que entiende completamente la pregunda que está respondiendo y cualquier documento que pueda estar firmando.
- ICE debe tener una orden para ingresar a su hogar. Si un agente de ICE no le muestra una orden judicial, puede rechazar la entrada. Una orden de registro válida debe indicar su nombre y dirección correctos.
HAVE A SAFETY PLAN
- If you have a valid work permit or Green Card, always carry it with you for identification purposes.
- Make sure you know the phone number of a family member, friend or attorney who can help you.
- Keep important documents like your birth certificate, immigration documents and alien registration number somewhere where a family member or friend can access them if necessary.
- Make sure your friends and family can find you if you are detained by ICE. They can use the ICE online detainee locator.
Tenga un plan de seguridad:
- Si tiene un permiso de trabajo válido o tarjeta verde, llévelo siempre con para verificar su identificación.
- Asegúrese que sabe el número de teléfono de un familiar, amigo o abogado quien puede.
- Guarde documentos importantes como su certificado de nacimiento, documentos de inmigración y número de registro de extranjero en algún lugar donde un familiar o amigo pueda accederlos si es necesario.
- Asegúrese que sus amigos y familiares puedan encontrarlo si está detenido por ICE. Pueden usar el localizador de detenidos en línea de ICE. https://locator.ice.gov/odls/
More on Immigration
Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Carmel Valley) and Congressman Salud Carbajal (D-CA-24) released a statement on the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) ongoing consideration to use Camp Roberts as a temporary facility to house unaccompanied children under 18 years old who have crossed the southern border in an attempt to avail themselves of the laws of the United States. If HHS finds Camp Roberts suitable to meet the needs of children, the California Army National Guard Post would be used to temporarily house these minors as they are processed to be placed with family or a sp
Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Carmel Valley) released the following statement about the current challenges at the southern border and his upcoming visit to a southern border facility in Carrizo Springs, Texas:
This week, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Carmel Valley) and his House colleagues passed H.R. 6, the American Dream and Promise Act. Congressman Panetta is a cosponsor of the legislation, which would allow Dreamers and individuals with Temporary Protected Status (TPS) or Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) to continue to contribute, work, and remain legally in the United States by providing an earned pathway to citizenship.
Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Carmel Valley) joined Congresswoman Linda T. Sánchez (CA-38) in introducing the U.S.
Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Carmel Valley) and Congressman Jim Costa (CA-16) led a group of Congressional members in a letter to Governor Newsom to ensure outreach to farmworkers as part of the State of California’s Phase 1B distribution plan for the COVID-19 vaccine. The letter requests a robust educational campaign, including linguistically accessible and culturally appropriate resources, to ensure these essential workers feel secure in seeking out and accepting the vaccine. The letter also acknowledges that all levels of government must work together to protect the agricultural
Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Carmel Valley) supported passage of House Resolution 1153, condemning unwanted, unnecessary medical procedures on individuals without their full, informed consent. The measure is in response to a whistleblower complaint alleging female detainees in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody underwent hysterectomies without consent.
SALINAS, CA – Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (D-Carmel Valley) announced $7,157,290.00 in federal grant funding through the Student Support Services (SSS) Program for California State University Monterey Bay (CSUMB), Hartnell College, and Monterey Peninsula College (MPC).
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (CA-20) supported passage of the National Museum of the American Latino Act, H.R. 2420, of which he is a cosponsor. The bill will establish a Smithsonian National Museum of the American Latino on the National Mall dedicated to honoring the contributions of Latinos to the United States. The legislation will now go to the Senate for consideration.
SALINAS, CA – Today, Congressman Jimmy Panetta (CA-20) led 22 members of Congress in calling on the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) U.S.